The student news site of Meridian High School

The Wildcat

• April 19Senior Day: May 5, 2017

• February 74th Academic Quarter Progress Reports April 25, 2017

New Faces, New Rivals, New Matches

TiQuisha Grace, Reporter

“We do no talking when it comes to tennis: we let the racket do all the talking for our team.”

“There is no way around hard work: embrace it.” To Amber Hopson, this team quote means you have to put in hard work during practice and game time to be a successful team.

James Prewitt, a tenth grade student at Meridian High School, is proud to have new players on the MHS boys and girls tennis team. Prewitt has been on the boys’ tennis team since seventh grade. This year makes his fourth year on the team.

Prewitt thinks it is challenging at times to balance school and tennis. In addition to tennis, Prewitt also takes AP and honor classes, so he has a lot of homework. Prewitt tries his best to keep up with tennis and his school work. Time management is the key for him.“I have a plan to do my homework after tennis, and I try to stick to it,” says Prewitt. To Prewitt, this is where his time and work ethic come in.

Prewitt has been a top performing player on the team since last year.

He feels that helping out his teammates and being a part of the team requires a lot of energy and patience. He feels that he must own up to be a leader and play his position (number one men’s doubles) with passion. Prewitt plays likes he is really excited to be on the team and he takes pride in this sport. He hopes to be that leader his teammates look up to.

Prewitt said, “I will practice and try to win as many matches as I can to help my team make it to state this year. It is a constant effort.” His teammates are more like his brothers and sisters to him. Prewitt believes it requires a lot to be a part of the tennis team and a lot to be successful on the team.

This year the MHS girls tennis team accepted a new player on the team — Amber Hopson. Hopson is a tenth grade student. She is very excited to be on the tennis team.

Although this is her first year on MHS girls tennis team, she has tennis experience from previous years. Not only does Hopson plays tennis, but she is also on the MHS swim team. Hopson hopes to have a successful tennis and swim season this year.

She became very interested in tennis by watching the Olympics and some of her family members who also play tennis.

Hopson’s friends encouraged her to try out for tennis because they think she is really good at the sport.

“I’m really excited about tennis; it is a great sport to play,” said Hopson. Her goals for this season are to work hard at practice, work on her back-hands, and to be more condition. She will also try to run every day to stay in shape and to help her on the tennis court during matches.

Hopson plays mixed doubles on the tennis team. Mixed doubles is a female and male playing against another female and male. Even though Hopson is new on the team, she plays her position well and takes it very seriously.

Both the boys and girls tennis team believe their biggest competition this season is their district matches. District matches are the most important thing to both teams. The most important local rivalry team is West Lauderdale County School. Rivalry teams come with a lot of bragging rights.

Tennis was successful for both teams last year. This year they hope to be even more successful.

The MHS tennis match for both the girls and boys team is Feb. 27.