The student news site of Meridian High School

The Wildcat

• April 19Senior Day: May 5, 2017

• February 74th Academic Quarter Progress Reports April 25, 2017

Seniors Shooting for Success

Malerie Brooks, Reporter

“Success is never final, failure is never fatal: it’s the courage that counts.”–John Wooden

Friday, Jan. 10 was the Meridian High basketball players’ Senior Night. MHS introduced both girls and boys varsity players. Each student got to walk on the court with their family and were presented with gifts while being recognized.

“[I have] been great at being a senior. It takes a lot of leadership.” This statement, made by varsity basketball player Unesha Walker, expresses the joys and challenges of being a senior on the team. Walker has been playing basketball for four years as a guard and her last two years as a guard and small forward. Other than playing basketball, Walker also runs track.

Walker’s proudest accomplishment at MHS was staying out of trouble all four years which takes a lot of commitment. “I mean when most people graduate you really don’t see them like you use to every day. I’ll have to miss that,” replied Walker when asked what she will miss most about MHS.

After Walker finishes school, she plans to attend East Community College and become a nurse.

Sabrina Boyd is a varsity basketball player for MHS. Boyd has been playing basketball for four years as a forward. Not only does Boyd play basketball, she also played softball for MHS. ”I feel pretty good about being a senior for Meridian High.”

Boyd’s proudest accomplishment was that she has become a better basketball player over the past four years. “I will miss the bonding with my friends and teammates,” said Boyd when asked what she will miss most about MHS.

After Boyd finishes school, she plans to attend Hinds Community College and further her career in basketball.  

“It’s bittersweet being a senior.” This statement, made by varsity basketball player Jasmine Brown, expresses the excitement of being a senior. Brown has been playing basketball for four years as a forward.

Brown only plays basketball for Meridian High. Brown’s proudest accomplishment is keeping her grades up. “I will miss the supportive coaching staff,” replied Brown when asked what will she miss most about MHS.

After Brown finishes school, she plans to attend college to become a physical trainer.

David McCoy is a varsity basketball player for MHS. McCoy has been playing basketball for four years as a shooting guard and only plays basketball for Meridian High. “[There are] some good and bad things about being a senior, but it’s something that everybody will look forward to being.”

McCoy’s proudest accomplishment is being a part of the Meridian High basketball team and hopefully winning a championship. “I will miss the memories I have at MHS and just being able to be a part of the Class of ‘17, exclaimed McCoy when asked what will he miss the most about MHS.

After McCoy finishes high school, he plans to further his career in basketball and earn a degree.

“I do not feel any different about being a senior. I’m just ready to graduate.” Trevail Gilmore, made this statement regarding his eagerness in being a senior. Gilmore has been playing basketball for two years as a center and power forward. Other than playing basketball, Gilmore also ran track.

Gilmore doesn’t have any proud accomplishments, but his main goal is just to graduate. “I’m going to miss my life as a high school kid,” stated Gilmore when asked what will he miss the most about MHS.

After Gilmore finishes high school, he plans to attend college to further his education and continue to play sports.

J’Avius Malone is a varsity basketball player for MHS. Malone has been playing basketball for four years as a small forward and power forward. “I’m glad to be a senior. I’ve been in school for so long and I’m finally going to leave.”

Malone only plays basketball at Meridian High. His proudest accomplishment is being a graduating senior, and he only plays basketball for MHS. “I’m going to miss basketball,” stated Malone when asked what will he miss the most about MHS.

After Malone finishes high school, he plans to attend a four year university.

“It’s great I’m finally about to be out of highschool and move on to another level of my life.” This statement, made by varsity basketball player Kevin Horne, expresses the enthusiasm of being a senior.

Kevin Horne is a varsity basketball player for MHS. Horne has been playing basketball for three years as a shooting guard and power forward.

Horne’s proudest accomplishment is being a graduating senior. “I’m going to miss my teachers and all of my friends from high school,” quoted Horne when asked what he will miss the MOST about MHS.

After Horne finishes high school he plans to attend a four year university.

Ladarrius Brewer is a varsity basketball player for MHS. Brewer has been playing basketball for four years as a small forward and power forward.

His proudest accomplishment is making it through high school with A & B honor roll. After Brewer finishes high school he plans to attend a four year university.

On behalf of MHS, we would like to congratulate all of the graduating seniors and their accomplishments. We would also like to congratulate the boys on making it to the finals Saturday, March 11.