The student news site of Meridian High School

The Wildcat

• April 19Senior Day: May 5, 2017

• February 74th Academic Quarter Progress Reports April 25, 2017

The Art of Success

Parisian Brown, Reporter

Meridian High School is more than just an athletic school.

Seven MHS Art students won awards for their outstanding artwork from the Art Scholastic Program.

Art Scholastic is a program that hosts a competition and rewards for students based off of their entries.

The Mississippi Museum of Art hosts the Mississippi Regional Competition every year, and students from middle schools and high schools participate in the competition.

Overall, there were over 200 participants and of the 417 awards, 19 were awarded to Meridian High school students.

11 pieces of artwork won three gold key awards, three silver key awards, five honorable mentions, and one gold portfolio.

Meridian High School sophomore Sophia Calderon entered a graphite drawing that completed a magazine drawing of a woman called “Half Hearted.” Calderon’s piece won an honorable mention award.

Calderon says, “My sister and I have always taken art classes, so I continued to take them at MHS.”

Calderon thinks this award will help her with college applications, and she also believes that Meridian High’s entries showed a sense of unique creativity.

“This recognition means that the art program is successful in teaching students, and with the teachers we have, it will continue to succeed in the future,” stated Calderon.

Another award winner is junior Brandon Tilman. Tilman entered a self-portrait drawing and his piece won a nhonorable mention award.

Tilman says, “Art means a lot to me and coming from a very artsy family, it’s been something I’ve grown up with. Music, acting, painting, drawing, and photography are all different types of art.”

Photography is something Tilman really enjoys doing and it helps with his stress and helps him see things differently.

In Tilmans’ opinion, Meridian High has some very talented students and a really strong art program.

“These awards have helped me admit to myself that my work is good and I’m very judgemental about my own work. These awards have helped me loosen up a bit,” stated Tilman.

Tilman feels that this recognition will help the community realize that there are better things that take place at Meridian High than just sports and negativity. “Everyone is so focused on the bad, but this is something everyone should be proud of,” explains Tillman.

Heather Roberts is a senior award winner. Roberts entered a school boat house photo, a school photo entry, and a school entrances photo portfolio.

She won one gold key award and two silver key awards.

Roberts says, “My family introduced me to art at a young age and always encouraged me to keep practicing and improving skills.”

“Art means everything to me and no matter where you are, art will be there around the world to lighten the mood and cheer people up as it has with me,” said Roberts. She elaborated “I have been inspired by many people but my dad has been the biggest inspiration in my life, he had the greatest effect on my view of art out of everyone.”

Roberts thinks this award will show her where she is as an artist and what she needs to improve and work on. “MHS has a vast amount of creative and intelligent students that like to stand out and show how gifted the school really is.”

The opportunity for art students to compete is possible because of teachers like Marsha Iverson and Dilan Ladner. Mrs. Iverson and Mr. Ladner, as well as the other art teachers at MHS, provide students with the tools that they need to create art expressions and to compete successfully in art competitions.