The student news site of Meridian High School

The Wildcat

• April 19Senior Day: May 5, 2017

• February 74th Academic Quarter Progress Reports April 25, 2017

Are the Eagles Truly Flying?

Jahnita Williams, Reporter

Although Meridian Community College (MCC) has been ranked top in the nation for the past 15 years, this ranking is gained in the absence of a football team– a rarity these days in the world of Southern community colleges.

Meridian Community College has been ranked top in the nation for the past 15 years.

Over the years MCC has broadened its academic choices and has many ways in which students can attend the school. The college offers 53 different programs of study.

Meridian Community College not only offers classes for high school graduates, but it offers classes that high school students can take. The classes that are offered are called dual enrollment classes. These count as high school credits and college credits.

To be eligible for these classes students must be either a full time high school junior or senior. In order to be enrolled in any composition class or college algebra class, students must have scored at least an 18 in the math and english sections of the ACT.

“MCC is different from other colleges because it has a unique guaranteed tuition program,” Tiffany Hickman, former employee of Meridian Community College.

If students live in the Lauderdale County area, they are eligible for the tuition guaranteed program. Students are also able to get scholarships to assist with tuition cost.

Meridian Community College also has many sports team for both male and female students.

The school offers men’s and women’s soccer, tennis, track and field, golf, and basketball. MCC also offers baseball and slow pitch softball. Most of the games are played at the college. If there is an away game, they will play in state teams.

Even though MCC has the usual sports teams, they do not have a football team.

When approached with questions regarding the absence of a football team, MCC Sports Director Sander Atkinson stated, “Money is one of the biggest reasons we do not have a football team. There are so many sports at MCC that there will not be enough money funded by the government to fund the team.”

Money is not the only reason for not having a football team, according to Atkinson. The school does not have the facilities for the team to practice, offices for the coaches, nor a field to practice and on which to play games. The school also does not have a place for the players to live.

“If Meridian Community College was to have a football team, it would have a positive effect on the school and community,” stated Atkinson.

He elaborated: “The games would bring the community together and be a good escape from everyday life. It would also bring MCC more students because of the team.”

Even though there have been complaints about not having a football team at MCC, no one has made an effort to petition to get a team.

With many high school graduates in Meridian that have football talent, it undoubtedly would be beneficial to the community to have a community college football team as an option for them after graduation.

Atkinson did not dismiss the idea of a football team, but stated that the above complications were the reason for this absence.

Regardless, even without a football team, Meridian Community College doubtlessly provides the community of Meridian with an opportunity of quality education.