The student news site of Meridian High School

The Wildcat

• April 19Senior Day: May 5, 2017

• February 74th Academic Quarter Progress Reports April 25, 2017

Transferring Into a New Wildcat

TiQuisha Grace, Reporter

From yellow and blue to white and blue is the start of something new.

Cierra Brown is a new tenth-grade student at Meridian High School. Brown is a former student of  Kemper High School. She hopes to have a good year at MHS.

Moving from KHS to MHS was very challenging for Brown. It was challenging for her because she was once a Wildcat and she had to transfer to become a different Wildcat. Overall, Brown thinks it was best for her to move from Kemper to Meridian.

“I feel like it was good for me to transfer to MHS because I wanted to go a better school than KHS,” said Brown. Brown believes that although KHS is a 3A school, she still needed a better school than just a school that focuses on sports: she needed a school with better education, teachers, and more choices.

Brown would like for her previous classmates and teachers to remember her as a smart and quiet student who helped others when needed and as a role model around KHS. Her most memorable moment at KHS was seeing the look on KHS football players’ faces after winning the State Championship.

Since Brown transferred to MHS, she believes she has faced some big challenges. Her biggest challenge is struggling to keep up in her classes due to MHS being ahead of KHS. Overall, Brown hopes to show people although she transferred schools close to the end of the year, she will still pass the tenth grade.

Coming to MHS and joining the MHS Wildcat Newspaper Staff made Brown feel very excited because her previous school’s Journalism class did not interact in the way that the staff members at MHS do and they did not do a lot of the same things as a newspaper class.

The environment around MHS was very inviting for her. “The first person I met when I first arrived to MHS was Mrs. Turner. She helped me get used to the people around school and the school grounds,” said Brown. The MHS library is the most interesting place at MHS to Brown because the library has more variety of books than the KHS library.

Brown expects to meet new friends and maintain a higher grade point average at MHS.

So far, Brown has learned that transferring from one school to another one is very tough. She decided that it takes a lot of hard work to adjust yourself around a new school because you barely know people and all you have is yourself.

When Brown has free time she likes to read, sing, dance, help out at a few community places, and go to the Boys and Girls Club. She also enjoys playing dodgeball, zumba, and doing other activities at the Boys and Girls Club.

Her biggest motivation is her mother and grandmother. Her mother is her biggest motivation because her mother helps her get through all her tough battles in her life. Her grandmother motivates her to never give up in life and to keep pushing.

Brown believes that becoming a different Wildcat was the best thing for her.