The student news site of Meridian High School

The Wildcat

• April 19Senior Day: May 5, 2017

• February 74th Academic Quarter Progress Reports April 25, 2017

The Ball is Back In Our Court

Amara Davis, Reporter

After seven years of hard work, the Meridian High School boys’ basketball team is the 6A state champion.  

Head boys’ basketball coach Ronald Norman believes his addition was a “new idea” that gave him an edge when it came to coaching. He stated the experience he has with winning past championships helped him with what to expect at the big game.

Graduating senior David McCoy says he feels great about the team’s win. He stated what sets the team apart is that they have “the best chemistry in the state.” He believes this because the players have a relationship outside of the court.

McCoy thinks that the upcoming juniors and seniors will be able to pull off another win. He believes this because their bond with the head coach will only get stronger, and they have the ambition to become winners.

Sophomore Vontrell Pringle feels that the hard work that the team put in this year contributed to the team’s win and that is what sets the team apart from others. He believes that the championship win helped with the misconception that the team would always make it to the championship game but never win the title.

Pringle stated that hard work helped the team win the game. He thinks the coaches’ inspirational speeches helped the team focus and keep the goal in mind. His message to the teams that they defeated this season was to “come harder next year.”

Junior Miles Miller says what helped the team is that the team remained united during the season through all of their ups and downs. He believes that the championship win actually proved to people that they were not only capable of winning but actually able to win the championship.

Miller thinks the biggest misconception people had about the team is the team had a lot of star players and they would not be able to play together, but the result was actually the opposite. Miller says that all players sacrificed and came together as a family.

The team is currently ranked number one in the 6A district and in the state. The final score of the championship game was 68-59.